Friday 31 October 2008

Prelude to Chunk #2

It is official. I am now responsible for writing chunk #2, Introduction to Java, having received the OK from Darrel.

You might think it is a pretty selfish choice: no dependencies on other authors, little or no code to write, no need to agonize waiting for Greenberg’s book to arrive to get started. But please wait; I can assure you my choice was inspired by more noble reasons.

My involvement with Java technology at a professional level goes back to the first release of the JDK. It was a pretty innovative proposition back then, and I immediately embraced it with enthusiasm. However, to be an early adopter of new technology always carries a degree of risk, and you have to weight its merits and drawbacks against competing and more mature alternatives available to justify your choice. This exercise gave me a pretty good historic perspective of Java, experienced firsthand.

On top of that, there is the wonderful challenge of introducing a pretty techie subject to a non-technical audience. Almost as challenging as when my granny a few years back asked me to explain to her how the Internet works. Now, how is that for motivation?

No comments: